Director of Finance
Just awarded the Best Firm to Work For by Zweig White for the second year in a row, Taylor Design is a growing, creative and energetic design firm with five offices in California and over 80 employees. We pride ourselves on creating long-lasting relationships with our clients to design elegant architectural solutions that empower people to succeed. We’re 100% employee-owned. We work hard, but we manage to have a lot of fun along the way.
Taylor Design is currently seeking a Director of Finance to lead our centralized accounting team, a full-time position based in Irvine (but currently working from home). We are looking for a sharp, enthusiastic and experienced leader with exceptional accounting skills, great people skills and a helpful, positive attitude.
The Director of Finance is responsible for establishing and implementing firmwide financial control systems and procedures to ensure the health, integrity and compliance of corporate financials. The Director of Finance is a trusted advisor to the CFO on financial matters, including cash management, benefits, insurance, real estate and capital purchases, and works closely with the firm’s bankers, payroll provider, retirement plan administrators and outside accountants.
The successful candidate will manage a team which currently includes team members focused on project billing and accounts payable and will closely interact with the firm’s contract administration and human resources leaders. Additionally, the Director of Finance ensures that mentoring and support are provided to project leaders for successful financial management of projects including contractual compliance.
The ideal candidate will have the skills, interest and ambition to ascend to the role of CFO within the next few years.
- Manage the day-to-day activities and overall team health of the financial accounting team
- Responsible for general ledger integrity, accuracy of financial reports and journal entries for payroll, prepaids, leases, loans, stock transactions, local taxes, etc.
- Fixed asset accounting, depreciation and property tax reporting and compliance
- Coordinate completion of annual reviewed financials with outside accountants
- Coordinate corporate tax compliance issues and submittal of annual tax returns with outside tax accountants
- Coordinate all Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) transactions and annual compliance reporting with the firm’s third-party administrator
- Works closely with corporate development and IT leaders to develop and monitor annual budgets
- Develop strategic goals, investigate and implement improvements to the firm’s financial and project accounting systems and procedures to ensure continuous improvement
- Excellent communication skills, supportive attitude and exceptional people skills – ability to establish and maintain trust
- Demonstrate initiative, professionalism, dependability, accuracy, integrity and an appropriate sense of urgency – willingness to jump in and help when necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or other financial discipline
- CPA preferred
- 7+ years of accounting leadership experience in a professional services environment, preferably in an architecture or engineering firm
- Strong knowledge of Deltek Vision required
- Willingness to work flexibly – potentially longer hours at critical times of the year such as monthly or annual closings
- Knowledge of computer systems principles and procedures, including knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, Word, Teams and other relevant software.
- Knowledge of Newforma and E-Builder programs a plus
Benefits: Taylor Design offers a rich benefits package to all eligible full-time employees
- Paid medical, dental and vision insurance for the employee
- Flexible spending account, commuter benefits, and voluntary group disability, accident, hospitalization, critical illness and life insurance coverage offered
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) Plan – Traditional and Roth Plans available
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid time off and holiday time off
- Yearly education allowance and a very robust professional development program
- Social and team bonding activities, including Thirsty Thursdays, Mid-Summer Madness, holiday party, and field trips
- And much, much more…
Taylor Design is an equal employment opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.
Job Status: Full Time